Saturday, March 7, 2009

Haircut-Part 1


My first major personal crisis in China has arisen. For 28 years I have not let anyone but the beautiful Norwegian, Marit, cut my hair (except for 2 years ago when while in Oslo, I let the beautiful Hilda shear my locks). Marit never let me down. Despite her famously busy schedule she always seemed to find a way to fit me in. I never needed to even discuss how I wanted my hair cut. She always knew without any discussion. We would discuss our families, trips to Norway, the world in general and the time flew by and my haircut was done. I had a habit of leaving the chair screaming "What have you done to me-- I am not going to pay for this one" to the consternation of her waiting customers. I think Marit always enjoyed the game (I hope so).

Here I am in Beijing with my hair getting longer and sticking out in funny ways. Our administrative staff, Mellisa and Iwona, claim it is ok and I should let it grow but I know the time is coming. I have asked around but haven't really had any reassuring
suggestions. The salon at the Lido caters to Westerners but at astronomical prices. I am not going to pay anyone in Beijing more than I paid Marit! A friend suggested cutter #6 at L'Oreal but who knows if I will get #6 or if #6 is always the same #6. I have watched the door at L'Oreal and seen some funny looking people coming out. What am I to do? Marit, can you book me Friday morning at 5:30?

Stay tuned for Haircut-Part 2
Phlip

2 comments:

  1. Phil,

    If you wait a few more weeks I think you will look like the guy I knew in the mid 70's.

    Find a good barber. I will need one when I see you in May.

    Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should try a sort of Buddhist ascetic look, with a shaved head?

    ReplyDelete