Monday, June 15, 2009


Having a small refrigerator according to Western standard, I have
returned to the kind of shopping I grew up with, namely daily. Unless
I need a lot of produce, I normally hop on my bike with a back-pack .
If I want produce, I usually head to a small shop/stall about 5
minutes away. It is run by a couple and their teen-age children and
they are very welcoming, friendly and fair, last adverb meaning they
do not appear to have "Western prices" and "Chinese " prices.
Sometimes clearly being from "away", which I can not hide from, in
some stores translates into prices being a little high until they know
you. But this stall always throw in a little extra if I buy a lot, and
give me a good price (Very different from the fruit vendor next door)
Opening hours are about the same as my awake hours. I have shopped at
7 AM when they are receiving all the days vegetables. And when I walk
by in the dark around 10 PM, I am still able to get what I want. If I
start translating the prices into dollars, I realize it will be quite
a shock when I start shopping in the US again. So check out what I was
able to stuff in my back-pack after handing over the equivalent of
$1.10. last shopping trip:

No comments:

Post a Comment